Monday, August 15, 2011

God is Beautiful


God is beautiful.

It has been about a week and a half since I last posted…maybe even two weeks! I am so sorry! It has been crazy here these past 2 weeks. As our time is coming to a close in San Salvador, we find ourselves trying to fit in as much as possible which has inhibited me to sit and write to you all. So forgive me…I know you all have just been sitting at your computers waiting for my next post!! ;)

I believe I left off telling you all about Rafa’s home and the adventure we all had at the retreat. The first thing I think when reflecting back on these past two weeks is HOW BEAUTIFUL OUR LORD IS! I see His beauty in all that He has created: the thunderstorms, the intricacy of a spider making his web, the power of the waves in the ocean, language, how communication can be met in the most difficult circumstances. I could go on forever…the Lord is the only one that knows true beauty and He is the only one that can truly display it. We are so blessed when He uses us to show His beauty…He definitely doesn’t have to but He does. And that goes with anything…the fact that the Lord uses us for anything is an amazing gift and opportunity for us to experience Him.

The Friday following our retreat, our team was able to walk up the steep but short hike to the top of Puerta Del Diablo (The Devil’s Door). If you ever come to San Salvador…you MUST go here! It is the most breathtaking view! Not only is it beautiful to look at but what an experience as well! There were a few times where the clouds engulfed us at the top and all you could see was whiteness…it was crazy!  Our pictures don’t do it justice!

The next day, we went to an orphanage for the day to play with the kids, hold babies, and paint a mural! We painted an underwater theme on the wall outside by their playground. It was a long day and I emotionally wasn’t prepared for what we encountered. There were soooo many children between the ages of 0-12. These are children who have been abused and mistreated. Once the children reach the age of 12, it is no longer the orphanage’s duty to take care of them. I think back to my worries as a 12-year old and I think my biggest worry was how I was going to get out of eating squash that night. To think I could be left on the streets and picked up by child laborers is a daunting and disgusting thought. The children are absolutely adorable and they all can’t wait to be held or played with. As you start to walk towards them, they come rushing at you as though they are going to pounce…and some of them actually did (on the boys). Something that still haunts me is what the little girls called to us as… “Mama.” Every single one I played with called me “Mama” and this was the same with every girl on our team. They know not one singular mother they can call “Mama.” To them any woman that gives them attention becomes the role of “Mama.” I understand they are orphans and have no mother but I guess I didn’t comprehend them not understanding motherhood and what that even looks like. I can only think, will they repeat their parent’s mistakes just because they don’t understand motherhood?

That following week, our team set back out to the campuses: Matias and Evangelica! We planned an outreach with Vida Estudiantil about Identity and what we find our Security in. We each made a t-shirt with “Soy” and then what our identity in Christ is. For example, my t-shirt said “Soy Amada” which means “I am Beloved.” Some other examples were “I am Redeemed,” “I am Worthy,” and “I am a New Creation.” Our t-shirts helped to instigate conversations with students and have them ask why we wore t-shirts that said those things. We had them fill out a survey with deep questions involving their identity and then they were able to fill out an index card with their thoughts about God to put on a poster board. It was so much fun and we met so many people! That Thursday, Matias had their first weekly meeting which was a welcome party for students to become acquainted with Vida Estudiantil! We had an epic dance party, fun games, some testimonies, and Esnacks! On Friday, Evangelica had a sports day to finish off our week of outreach with free pizza and some soccer matches! We had about 8 small soccer teams mixed with girls and boys and it was seriously soo much fun!! The teams were mixed well with gringos (Us) and Salvadorians which helped to make it more even matches.

This past Saturday, our last adventure day, we went to la playa de Punta Roca. Another fun and relaxing beach day! Supposedly, the waves at Punta Roca are among the best surf waves in the world…from the knowledge I have acquired about waves from my surfer friends and boyfriend, I think I could agree to that claim.

On Sunday, we went to another orphanage with mainly teenagers (many who had been prostitutes) and other teenage mothers with their infants. We weren’t allowed to talk to the mothers about their backgrounds so I am unsure why they weren’t able to be home with their families (they told us they didn’t like staying at the orphanage) but I trust they weren’t with their families for good reasons. The majority of the time spent by the girls on our team was holding the babies. There are no words to describe God’s creation in the beauty of babies…their tiny toes and fingers and the strength those little hands have when they grasp one of your fingers! It is too much too handle!!!

We began our last week here in El Salvador and I can’t believe how quickly the time has gone by! This will be my last post about my time here in the city of San Salvador but I will be sending out a post-project letter summing up all that God has done here soon after we get back!

I wanted to share one last thing: In The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, he says “[…] God is forever seeking to speak Himself out to His creation. The whole Bible supports the idea. God is speaking. Not God spoke, but God is speaking. He is by His nature continuously articulate. He fills the world with His speaking Voice.” I pray that each of you is consciously aware of how God speaks to you in your surroundings. God calls us to listen and be sensitive to what He speaks.  In the bad and good experiences of this world, He speaks to us. I desperately pray that you are obedient and LISTEN.

Thank you if you have been following me through this trip, I have enjoyed sharing it.
In Christ,
Meg




1 comment:

  1. AHHH! Meg, I love your posts! So inspiring! I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete